Monday, July 7, 2008

Chenoa's Spiritual Journey 2: The Good Points

For me, the main selling point of Becky Dice's Chenoa's Spiritual Journey is its portrayal of what could be called a "Reservation mindset." There are good and bad aspects to that, and I'll detail some of them tomorrow. I'll also come back to this in my conclusion, which will be unlike any I've posted before. For the moment I'll just note that it brings an honesty to the work that is both disturbing and refreshing: Chenoa is not a particularly likeable person, and there are features of her background that probably contributed to that. This is the first installment of a series, so there may be more commentary on these topics in later stories.

There is also the fact that Chenoa is ultimately unable to come to terms with her new situation apart from God. She goes more and more out of control over time, and in the end only God can save her.

Some other blogs on the CFRB tour:
Cathi Hassan's at Shoutlife
Rebecca Wire
Laura Davis
Queen of Convolution (Caprice Hokstad)

No comments:

 
Powered by WebRing.